Being the new guy can be daunting, especially when we’re going to ask you to open up right away (and say “ahhhh”). But, there’s no need to worry. Our friendly staff are experts in making you feel welcome in our Edmonton downtown office, and we’ll be right there with you the whole time so you’ll know exactly what to expect.
If you are eligible for benefits from a dental insurance plan, we ask that you bring all your policy information and forms with you. If you have a booklet explaining your benefits, yearly maximums, and limitations, we ask that you also bring it. We will photocopy the applicable sections to keep them on file for future reference.
Your first visit will involve a comprehensive new patient examination to assess all of your oral health needs.
That examination will include:
- Radiographs (x-rays) to assess the condition of the teeth, supporting bone, temporomandibular joints, and facial structures that are not easily visualized with the naked eye
- A head and neck exam to evaluate the muscles, tissues, and surrounding structures for any abnormalities.
- A soft tissue exam and oral-cancer screening to evaluate the health of the gums, cheeks, tongue, and other soft tissues in the mouth
- A hard tissue exam to check the condition of the teeth and surrounding bone as well as the positioning/alignment of your bite
- Photographs of the teeth and soft tissues with our intraoral and extraoral camera to allow us to really show you any pertinent findings and better explain your treatment plan
- A consultation to discuss your treatment needs and various treatment options, allowing you to make educated decisions regarding your oral health care
Depending on scheduling, you may book your examination in conjunction with an oral hygiene assessment and treatment (a cleaning) by our hygienist.