We are continuing our series of staff feature blogs with our next staff member, Joyce! Joyce has been working in the dental industry for 40 years. The majority of her career has been spent working here at ThirtyTwo Dental, initially as a dental assistant for 20 years before transitioning into a dental receptionist.
Growing up in Smoky Lake, Joyce developed a love for animals and the outdoors. She also has four nephews that she loves dearly. Joyce has done 10 volunteer trips through Kindness in Action during her career and has thoroughly enjoyed each experience. She loves being able to give back and volunteer her time with the less fortunate. Joyce has even said those were some of the best travelling experiences she’s ever had! Each time was quite humbling and reinforced her pride as a Canadian.
We asked Joyce 10 “Get to Know You” questions and here’s what she had to say:
1. What chore do you absolutely hate doing?
2. If you could learn to do anything, what would it be?
Play the piano.
3. If you were reincarnated as an animal, what would it be?
A cat because they love to sleep in warm places!
4. What’s the hardest thing you’ve ever done?
Hiking Machu Picchu was the most difficult thing I’ve ever done because it was so physically demanding – there was endless stone stairs! I had altitude sickness but I insisted on pushing through because otherwise the whole team would have had to go back down to the base to take me back.
5. What was the first thing you bought with your own money?
6. If you could choose to stay a certain age forever, what age would it be?
40 – because that was my favorite year. I had the most fun that year. Also, Bill and Judy were kind enough to plan a surprise party for me with all of my friends and family – it was very special to me.
7. Where was your favorite vacation?
Turkey! I visited over Christmas and at one point we visited an ancient amphitheater where we sang “Holy Night”. The acoustics in the theatre made it an overall incredible experience. I also made some great friends with the people I travelled with and we had amazing food during the trip. It was also very eye-opening for me – it gave me a new perspective because I learned so much about history and Islam.
8. What was the last time you had an amazing meal?
Corso 32 in November for a birthday. The pasta dishes were so different!
9. What was your favorite toy/game as a child?
Snakes and Ladders because I could always beat my brother and sister!
10. What is your favorite thing to do in your free time?